Sometimes switching the oven on takes too long. Sometimes it makes everything seem more difficult. Sometimes there just isn’t the time. That’s where my beloved microwave comes in. I use the microwave for everything. It’s quick, it’s not messy, you aren’t left with five zillion pans to wash and dry up, and it takes a fraction of the time to cook food compared with either roasting in the oven, or boiling or steaming on the hob (or AGA if you’re lucky enough to have one). What’s not to love?!
Well, as with everything in the world, there will always be some people who disagree. For two reasons: there have been claims that eating microwaved food can be harmful to our bodies and increase the risk of developing cancer, and that the rays emitted from a microwave can damage our cells if we stand too close to it. How? Well, there’s little to no solid evidence about the level of damage that effects humans, however there have been studies conducted on rats which have shown that being fed microwaved food did indeed increase their risk of developing cancerous cells. But we are not rats, we are humans, and as far as I’m concerned, until someone collates some stark evidence to show that eating microwaved food is going to be of serious detriment to our health, I’m going to keep on eating and loving my beautifully speedy microwaved food in all it’s convenient goodness.
Anyhow, I’m sure you didn’t really come for my input on the ‘should we eat microwaved food’ debate. You probably just came for the recipe..
- 50g vegan protein
- 30g coconut flour
- 40g oat flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 80ml egg white
- 160g carrot
- 160ml water
- 30g sugar alternative (can omit and sub an intense sweetener)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 120g greek yoghurt
- 30g vegan protein (I used vanilla, casein will also work)
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
Makes 10-12 (recipe can easily be halved)
- Combine all of the cake ingredients together in a bowl. Blend together until smooth. Divide the mixture between 10-12 cupcake cases (I used these).
- Microwave in 2 batches, each for 3 minutes and 15-30 seconds.
- Cover with a tea towel to cool if not eating straight away.
- Meanwhile, if making the frosting, beat the frosting ingredients together, tasting and adding additional sweetener if required for your tastes. Leave in the fridge to set for at least 10 minutes before using.