I love a bit of chocolate. I love chocolate and orange. I recently bought some Raw Chocolate Orange Millionaire Shortbread Bites by Livia’s Kitchen which reminded me of my love for this flavour combination. If you don’t know, she’s a food blogger, she makes incredible looking desserts and treats…which are all full of healthier ingredients, refined anything free, mostly vegan etc. She’s also written a book – Livia’s Kitchen: Naturally Sweet and Indulgent Treats, which you can pre-order that looks amazing.
In fact, I’ve made multiple chocolate orange flavoured things before, like my protein take on Terry’s chocolate orange or these other chocolate orange cupcakes I made a while ago which I forgot about and are ironically are actually fairly similar to the below recipe. Anywho, this is my updated, newer version which is a little simpler for me to remember without having to refer back to anything. Which for me, is a winner as it means I can just shove some cakes together in next to no time, and next to no effort!
They’re dairy free, can be gluten free, yet high in protein and fibre whilst sneaking in some (undetectable) veggies too. Trust me when I say you can’t detect the vegetable matter…honest! It simply keeps the cake extra moist and soft without the need for added fat. There is in fact only 1.1g per little cake..!
- 20g chocolate beef protein
- 10g coconut flour
- 10g wholemeal or reduced fat almond flour (or any flour eg. oat, spelt)
- 15g cacao powder
- 45ml (1 large) egg white
- 40g courgette, grated (or apple sauce)
- 30ml water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Few drops of orange extract (opt)
- sweetener to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, add in the remaining ingredients and blend together (I used a hand stick blender) until smooth.
- Divide between 4 silicone cupcake cases and bake for 30-35 minutes minutes. Allow to fully cool in the cases.
For a video on how to mix up the batter, head to my Facebook page to see how easy it is! Feel free to like my page too – all support is much appreciated!
Macros (with wholemeal flour): 58 calories; 5.5g carbs (0.5g sugars); 7.5g protein; 1.1g fat; 2.5g fibre