As I turned the ripe old age of 22, as with the year before, I wanted to make a slightly more epic cake by way of self celebration. I couldn’t decided what flavour I wanted so I copped out on making a decision and headed for the American style Funfetti Birthday Cake.
This, however, posed another problem – sprinkles. I’ve tried before to make funfetti cakes and all have failed and ended up looking well…just downright dirty and not the vanilla coloured sponge flecked with pretty multi-coloured bits like you see in the books (or on Instagram and Pinterest…lets be honest here). This is down to all the sprinkles dissolving whilst baking and merging into make what looks like a cake made with dirty bathwater. Yummy…?
So I headed out on a hunt for some bake stable sprinkles. I say hunt like it was some sort of epic mission…I actually just went to my local T K Maxx, found an array of sprinkles on a shelf, had a look at some of the ingredients on the back and bingo. Picked the bigger sized sprinkles containing rice flour, hoped those would do the trick and ta da, they did. Happy Hebe.
I also ran out of time (and ingredients) to fully frost the cake, or to even make the full shabam of three cakes. I did in fact.. cheat *gasp* and make just the one cake. It was then sliced and frosted to make one individual triple layered slice of cake. But cheat as I did, it turned out glorious. I took a (note the singular of ‘a’..who shares food these days) slice for my sister to try as we were going up to visit her for the evening, and she loved it. So if you make it, I hope you like it as much as she did!
- 20g coconut flour
- 30g wholemeal flour (or gluten free flour)
- 30g almond flour (I used Sukrin reduced fat)
- 30g vanilla whey protein
- 15g vanilla casein protein
- 1 large egg (or another 60ml egg white)
- 45ml (3tbsp) egg white
- 90g courgette, peeled and grated
- 60g greek yoghurt
- 60ml almond milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- sweetener to taste, if using granulated 1/4-1/3C
- 1 tbsp non-dissolving sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl, except the sprinkles. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend together until smooth. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter into a lined and lightly oiled 6inch cake tin. Bake for 50 minutes or until it looks done.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
Macros (1/6 uniced): 100 calories; 8.1g carbs; 12.2g protein; 2.3g fat; 3g fibre
And because I had a fantabulous birthday with two of my favourite people. Here’s some rare pictures of me. And no, no I do not take myself too seriously.