There are a few things I like to have ready made, particularly if I’m in a making-baking kind of frenzy. And let’s face it, this is more of a regular occurrence than I would care to admit, but is plainly evident from both my blog and my Instagram.. I’m not mad. Although my family often is when I leave plenty of evidence of my ‘making-baking’ frenzies lying around. Not only in the kitchen, but the dining room, my bedroom.. basically anywhere that has good lighting is at risk of becoming victim to my mess.
Anyway. Enough about my untidy baking ethic. One of my favourite things to have ready made is date paste. I find it much more versatile when it’s in this form and (sometimes) makes my making-baking a little quicker/less time consuming. It’s super easy to make and requires very little effort. Plus the uses are endless (almost..). Here’s a few of my favourite ways:
- making these Vegan Salted Caramel Cashew Chocolate Eggs
- as a spread for toast
- making quick energy bites
- making protein balls
- adding into brownie batter
- making sticky toffee pudding
- add to smoothies
- add a splash of hot water and salt to make a healthy salted caramel sauce
- to eat off a spoon… (where half of mine ends up 99% of the time)
- Place 150g dates in a pan with enough water to just cover them, put a lid on top and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook until all softened.
- Blend with a hand blender until smooth and transfer to a tub to store in the fridge. It keeps quite well due to the high sugar content.
This yields roughly 185g.