Crisp, thin biscuits perfect for sandwiching with whatever spread your heart and tastebuds desire.
These came from an inspiration of some store bought biscuits I got the other week. They were delicious! A little thicker than how I rolled mine, and a little smaller in size, but buttery and oh-so-delicious. I knew I had to try and recreate them, and this was the result! I made a few tweaks to the ingredients stated on the packet to cater for my personal intolerances, not something I usually have, but following on from an unfortunate flare up – I
have to be should be extra cautious with my food choices afterwards whilst my stomach heals up (before I no doubt destroy it again, oops). So I made them dairy free, and reduced the amount of gluten containing flours used in an attempt to be kind to my tum!
As they’re dairy free and also contain no egg, they turned out to be vegan too. Admittedly completely de-veganised by the sandwiching with Nutella. Or rather, this is is actually a Nutella alternative. Looks the real deal though, no? Yup, this is actually a sugar free Nutella called Jim Jam’s spreads. And it’s absolutely delicious. You can pick it up online or from Tesco, definitely worth a go for all of you Nutella lovers out there!
- 21g sorghum flour
- 12g wholemeal flour
- 13g cornflour
- 13g oat flour
- 15 g raisins
- 1/2 tsp vegan protein
- 1/2 tsp lucuma powder
- 10g dairy free spread or butter
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 15ml maple syrup
- pinch salt
- Combine all of the dry ingredients including the raisins in a mini food processor and pulse until the raisins have been chopped up a little.
- Gently heat the spread and oil together until just melted. Stir in the maple syrup. Add this mixture to the flour mix in the food processor and blitz to combine. Gradually add cold water 1/2-1 tsp at a time – you should need about 2 tsp, until it comes together into a dough. Wrap in cling film and pop in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175C. Roll the dough to a few mm thick and stamp out your desired size of rounds. Bake until crisp and golden at the edges. Remove from the baking tray and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Now the best part…sandwiching together with your favourite spreads. How about some of these: