Easy peasy lemon squeezy. These are awesome for breakfast, brunch, a light lunch, addition to dinner or whenever the hell you want them. They’re versatile in that this is just a basic recipe – the flavour combinations and combinations or choices of veg are endless. They can be made gluten free, higher in protein – whatever tickles your fancy.
I’ve put the cheese as optional because it can be left out and the recipe will work perfectly well, but especially with a more ‘basic’ or plain flavour as given below, it really adds to it.
- 140g courgette, grated
- 35g (1/2 small) onion, diced
- 1 whole egg or 60ml egg white, beaten
- 20g flour of choice
- 20g mature cheddar cheese, grated (opt)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (opt)
- pinch black pepper (opt)
- spray oil or oil of choice for cooking
- Add the grated courgette, diced onion, egg white or beaten egg, flour, cheese (if using), salt and and spices to a bowl and mix it all up until it’s combined and no lumps of flour remain.
- Heat a pan to medium heat. Add a dollop of the mixture to make roughly American pancake sized fritters. Cook for a couple of minutes until set before flipping and cooking on the other side – much like you would do with pancakes.
- Serve straight away, or if making in advance, allow to cool on a cooling baking rack.